Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 8 ounces crusty Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained well
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese or 1 cup provolone cheese
- Cut the bread into 1-inch slices; spread slices with butter, then tear bread into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together; stir in the peppers, green onions, oregano, pepper sauce, salt, and black pepper.
- Add in bread pieces and cheese; stir well to coat bread.
- Divide mixture between eight greased 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins (or transfer all into a greased 1 1/2 quart souffle dish).
- Press mixture down slightly to thoroughly moisten bread.
- Bake, uncovered in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes or until golden and a knife comes out clean; let stand for 10 minutes before serving (or bake souffle dish for 40 minutes at 350 or until knife comes out clean; let stand for 15 minutes before serving).