Recipe by lauralie41
This party mix recipe came from my favorite cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. My DH loves party mix so this is a popular recipe in our home.
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
Oh my goodness! This was sooo good. I think the name suits the taste just right - while I was making it I thought it would taste more caramely; however, the coating was really quite sweet... almost a honey flavor. After pouring the coating over the dry ingredients (I threw the cranberries in for baking too, that way they'd stick to everything else) I didn't think the coverage was very good, so I stirred after 10 and 15 minutes and everything got coated very nicely and the taste was just right - not too sweet or buttery... Perfect!
- 4 cups bite-size Corn Chex
- 4 cups bite-size Rice Chex
- 2 cups pretzels (knots)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup dried blueberries or 1 cup dried cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine corn and rice cereals, pretzels, and almonds together in large roasting pan or baking dish, set aside.
- Bring to boil while stirring in a medium saucepan the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. When mixture comes to boiling point stop stirring and let boil for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. Pour immediately over cereal mixture. Stir gently to evenly coat cereal mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes in 300 degree oven. Stir and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven, stir in dried fruit, and spread mixture on buttered foil to cool. Break into bite size pieces and store in airtight container.