Recipe by Chef1MOM-Connie
Traveling in ZWT, we find ourselves looking for exotic recipes but yet recipes we can make at home and will be eaten. This is the perfect recipe for a dessert for yourself, family, or special company. Simple to put together, minimal time frame, and it looks divine. Enjoy the sweetenss of oranges and cocoanut with a bit of a kick in the center. Adults preferred but sub in OJ if making for children Adopted from the Univ of Penn African recipe collection
- 4 california oranges, cut in 1 inch slices then in 1/2-inch squares (thick skinned)
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1⁄3 cup apricot brandy or 1⁄3 cup Curacao or 1⁄3 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend all together.
- Divide 1 cup MOIST SHREDDED COCONUT into 8 dessert sauce dishes (2 Tbs. or 1 oz. each).
- Make a hole in the center of the coconut so that it forms a rim.
- Fill centers with ORANGES CONGO, dividing above mixture evenly.
- Add more brandy or orange juice if the mixture is not moist enough.
- Set in the reridgerator to cool but this is not neccessary. Needed time for "cooking" in the recipe format here.
- OPTIONAL:If you need a dessert in a hurry, prepare this dessert with canned mandarin oranges.
- OPTIONAL: Another variation is to stuff baked apples with the above mixture when they are about half done.