Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
What an unusual bread! And so easy to make. The texture is soft and the aroma of the onion and cheese baking will make your mouth water!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large vidalia onion, halved and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In large frying pan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Saute onions 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Set aside 2 tbsp of this mixture for the topping.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in milk, egg and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Add remaining onions.
- Pour into a greased 9 inch pie plate.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese, reserved 2 tbsp onion and poppy seeds over top of bread.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake at 400F (205C) for about 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly, cut into wedges.
M&Mers, this bread is FABULOUS!!! I followed your recipe exactly, except I left out the extra melted butter on top, and didn't add as much poppyseed (I just sprinkled it over top, about 1-1 1/2 tsp.) I cannot believe how easy and delicious this was!! Another definite keeper!! Thanks! ~Manda
I have been using the recipe for more than a year now and it is great. Sorry I took so long for the review everybody in the house loves this bread I even made some for my new neighbor. I dont use poppy seeds though I use Sesame seeds. Thanks for the great recipe!!!!