Recipe by Kaykwilts
I have a lot of Lemon Balm growing up in my herb garden so when I ran across this a Lemon Balm Bread recipe in a Gooseberry Patch Christmas book I decided to try it. I renamed it Sweet Melissa Lemon Balm Bread. Melissa is the Latin name for Lemon Balm. This bread is VERY moist.
Top Review by fuzznewtons
I have made this recipe multiple times and am just now getting around to reviewing it. This is a delicious way to use lemon balm-we love it! The glaze really sets it apart-it tastes even better the next day after letting the glaze soak in. Try it!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried lemon balm leaves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon balm leaves, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and the lemon balm leaves together.
- Add sugar and beat well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- To test for doneness use a toothpick.
- After bread is remove from oven pour glaze over it.
- Allow the glaze to settle in loaf for 4 to 6 hours.
- TO MAKE GLAZE.
- Mix juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup hot water and 1/4 cup lemon balm.
- If you do not have Lemon Balm you can use Lemon Verbena.