Recipe by eknecht
My family's version. Great for any recipe that calls for Italian sausage. I have had some luck shaping into sausages and *carefully* browning them on all sides, covering the skillet with a lid, and cooking over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
Top Review by chelley
I make this regularly and it is great even without measuring, just tossing the ingredients in by sight. Hard to mess up. Thanks, had been looking for a way to have turkey sausage without the pig casing having to go along with it.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients an mix thoroughly.
- Shape into patties, links, or crumble into skillet and brown over medium heat.
- Mixture may be made in advance up to 36 hours and let sit in the refrigerator to absorb the flavors, or can be shaped and frozen until ready to use (do not re-freeze previously frozen ground turkey). Thaw in the refrigerator.