Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vegetables are roasted, dressed with a sweet ginger sauce, and then returned to the oven to let it caramelize. This would be ideal as a side dish or as a vegetarian main dish when served over Yorkshire puddings (just be sure to not use animal fat!). Serves 2 as a main course and 4 as a side dish.
- 2 lbs potatoes or 2 lbs sweet potatoes or 2 lbs parsnips or 2 lbs swede or 2 lbs turnips or 2 lbs carrots
- 2 -4 garlic cloves
- 4 large shallots, halved
- 4 tablespoons oil
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated gingerroot
- 1 -2 tablespoon roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Set the oven around fairly hot, 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F.
- Peel the parsnips, swede, turnip, and carrots.
- Cut all vegetables into large wedges over sticks.
- Put in a roasting tin with the unpeeled garlic and shallots.
- Sprinkle with oil and coat well.
- roast in the oven for 40 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking.
- Add the ginger, pumpkin seeds, honey, and Worcestershire sauce or lemon juice to the vegetables in the roasting tin and cook for another 15-20 minutes until caramelised.
- Heat the Yorkshire puddings, if using, for 3 minutes. Spoon the vegetables into the puddings before serving. Sprinkle with some coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.