Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have made this several times now and everyone goes crazy over it. It can be served as a side dish or meatless entree.
- 3 -4 medium sweet bell peppers (red, yellow or orange)
- 5 5⁄8 ounces near east toasted pine nut couscous, made according to package directions (with seasoning packet)
- 2 medium scallions, sliced thin with green stems
- 3 cups Baby Spinach (prepackaged)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce, use more on the side when serving
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, more if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice tops off of peppers, set tops aside (save for use in fresh green salad). Remove seeds and white membrane.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add peppers and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Pour off hot water and immerse in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Following the directions on the couscous package: Combine water and flavor packet and bring to boil. Add couscous, stir & cover until done.
- Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray or 1 teaspoon EVOO. Over medium heat sauté onions until tender, about 3 minutes. Toss in spinach and stir to wilt. Set aside. Add in the cooked couscous, combine all.
- Add parmesan cheese and spoon into peppers.
- Arrange in an oven safe covered baking dish. Top with marinara. bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through and peppers tender.
- Heat remaining marinara sauce to serve on the side to top the peppers.
- I usually serve with a salad.