Prep 5 mins
Cook 18 mins
These sweet mixed nuts will leave you hot, hot, hot! I gave these out for Christmas last year and got rave reviews. Not just for the holidays, they're great anytime you need a sassy treat!
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg white
- 3 1⁄2 cups mixed nuts (I use deluxe mixed nuts with no peanuts)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300°F and prepare baking sheet. I like to line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper, but you can grease your pan if you like.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and cayenne, set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to accommodate nuts, whisk the egg white; add nuts, cranberries, sprinkle with sugar mixture and toss to coat. Spread onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container up to a week.
Made these and love them! Very tasty. The only thing I might do differently next time is add a little more fruit. These are so easy to make, so try them out.
Very nice. I used a mixture of cashews, almonds, macadamia nuts (my favourite) and brazil nuts. I'm going to be cooking them again for Christmas and packaging them up in nice glass jars with ribbons as gifts for the savoury-lovers. Very easy to make! Personally, I'd add more cayenne when cooking them for me (I like the heat) but the amount stated in the recipe is perfect for people who aren't so keen on having their mouths blown away.
I might try with quartered dried apricots next time to add some more fruitiness. I don't think the cranberries really added anything, since they dried up too much. Sultanas would have been very similar and a lot cheaper.
Generally, good stuff though, thanks for the recipe!
These were so so so good!!! I used green raisins and they turned out great!! Thanks for posting!!!