Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook240 hrs 10 mins
This is a traditional Swedish dish (also served in Norway but the Danes have more sense). It is a dish that you acquire a taste for (like Haggis). When you do acquire a taste you love it so I'm told. I have not cooked this recipe but it comes from a traditional source. This is not a joke this is an authentic recipe!
- 1 piece dried lutefisk, sawed into 6 inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons lye
- Soak the fish in clear water for 3 days.
- Add 2 tbsp lye into a gallon of water.
- Soak for 3 days in this solution.
- Then soak for 4 days in clear water, changing the water every day.
- To cook the lute fish--------.
- Tie the fish loosely in a square of cheese cloth.
- Drop in a large enamel pot of boiling water.
- Cook 10 minutes or until well done.
- Remove cheese cloth put on a platter and debone.
- Serve with a white sauce or a mustard sauce.