Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I suck at baking. We needed a quick bread to go with pea soup as its mysteriously cold lately. We dumped approximate ingredients in a bowl, mixed them with a bottle of beer and it ended up quite delicious. We sprinkled it with sesame seeds but I guess poppy seed would be better. You judge who is right.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted Earth Balance margarine or 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 (355 ml) bottlebrown beer
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or 2 tablespoons poppy seeds or 2 tablespoons oatmeal or 2 tablespoons dried onion, to sprinkle
- 2 teaspoons melted margarine
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Sift all 4 first ingredients in a big bowl.
- Add the margarine, then the beer.
- Mix until just mixed.
- Put in the loaf pan, sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Shmear the top of the loaf with the remaining margarine.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve with soup!
I just wanted to let you know that not all beers are vegetarian. Many use isinglass, which is made from fish, as a clarifying agent. To keep this vegan, you will need to make sure that the beer you use does not use animal products in brewing.
Made this several times now. It is excellent. Love it with Porter style beer. Don't see how it can get any better.
Yummy! I never thought to sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds on it. It is also good with 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning added to the batter.If you layer the dry ingredients in a jar or cello bag and attach a recipe card it is a nice gift as well.