Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is another one off the top of my head that is very difficult to screw up. I have a habit of making 1 dish meals, this is so hearty, it qualifies.
- 1 quart water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 ounce beef base
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 6 ounces pearl barley
- 16 ounces stewing beef (diced)
- Dissolve the tomato paste in the water.
- Add the pineapple juice, soy sauce and beef base.
- If you do not have beef base, you may substitute 1 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp MSG, and 1 more tbsp soy sauce.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, stir until evenly dispersed (the barley will sink).
- Heat on High until the beef is fully cooked.
- Lower heat to the low setting, and let it sit for two hours or longer.
I was lucky enough to have chef -d make this for me. It was fabulous. It was almost thick enough to be a stew. The flavors blended together very nicely. It's very good comfort food. I would recommend this to anyone!