Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
In the spirit of the Superbowl this year, I decided to make vegan chilli cheese dogs. This chilli was made from items that I had right in the pantry and was the perfect topper the veggie dogs served in grilled buns! I actually took the time to toast whole cumin and corrriander seed, and grind them in my spice grinder, which made a REAL difference in the flavor. Another note: I made this using 1 can of black beans, but I think 2 cans would have been the perfect ratio. Use your judgement!
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, medium hot
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon southwest seasoning (pampered chef)
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce, medium hot
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- In a stock pot, heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Next add bell pepper and garlic, stir until fragrant.
- Next add toasted spices, chilli powder, oregano, southwest seasoning, if using and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the textured vegetable protein, stir to quickly coat with all the yummy toasted spices.
- Pan will dry out quickly, so have the can of enchilada sauce ready and add to pan.
- Stir to let tvp begin to absorb the liquid, then add the can of diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add 1-2 cans of beans (your choice) and stir to combine.
- Simmer another 5-10 minutes and serve!