What a BLT sandwich hopes to be when it grows up. If you don't have access to good appelwood bacon, don't panic-use standard. I added a very small pinch of smoked salt (Salish) to the bacon strips before frying attempting to mimic that outdoors-y/applewood scent and taste. When garden tomatoes are abundant, substitute an heirloom variety for the grape or cherry tomatoes or look for them at your local farmers' markets. From Sunset western edition, July 2011. Happy Summer!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped (read intro^^)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaf (fresh *only*)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (we always use Nancy's- read *Note below)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (I think feta would make a fine substitute, too, as an afterthought)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1*Note: to make your own "instant" Greek-style yogurt take plain yogurt and place it in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl to collect the whey. Let drain covered in the refrigerator until thickened. This usually takes less than a hour to complete.
- 2Cook bacon in a medium frying pan over medium heat until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and sprinkle with rosemary; set aside.
- 3Dressing: Stir together the Greek yogurt, feta cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons water in a medium bowl. Note: if you prefer your dressing not quite as thick, add a little bit of milk or cream.
- 4Divide lettuce wedges among 4 salad plates.
- 5Drizzle 3 tablespoons dressing over each portion.
- 6Garnish top with avocado, tomatoes, and bacon.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunset Magazine's Rosemary, Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.8
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 23.5 mg
- Sodium 606.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: