Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another breakfast casserole. I like this one because of the sauce. I have plenty of English muffins or toast and serve these on top. Serve with fresh fruit. Prep time does not include cooking the sausage.
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb sausage, cooked and drained
- 10 eggs
- Spray bottom of 11x7-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Slice half of cheese to cover bottom.
- Grate other half and set aside.
- Mix seasonings with sour cream.
- Pour half of mixture over cheese.
- Layer cooked, crumbled, sausage over sour cream.
- Break whole eggs on top of sausage.
- Spread on remaining sour cream (dollop, without breaking eggs).
- Top with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake at 325ºF.
- for 25-30 minutes, or until set.
This is really good and I'm happy I made it. I don't think it needs ANY salt added to it. I know the recipe says (to taste). I'm usually heavy handed with the salt shaker, but this was too much even for me. Sausage and cheese are both salty to begin with and each person can add salt to their serving, if desired. It took 30 minutes to cook, but if you don't want runny yolks (I love runny yolks) you can cook it longer. Also, you can shorten the cooking time by baking at 375°F for about 12 minutes or to desired doneness. I served it over toasted English muffins halves (gluten-free from Kinnikinnick), but it would be great over hash browns, too. We had it for breakfast, but it would make a fine (breakfast for) dinner!
This is a very interesting recipe Miss Annie. May I ask what you meant by "plenty of muffins or toast and serve on top"? I personally thought this recipe was lacking something; potatoes, maybe the muffins or toast you mentioned. But, everyone in my family up to my grandparents said it was a keeper. Hmm. I think if I make this again, I will put a pin hole in the yokes to have them "smooth out", instead of biting into a whole yolk. BTW - this took over an hour to cook.
Very Good breakfast. I did add mushrooms and peppers on top of the sausage. Put the toast down first and then topped with the casserole.