Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This started out as leftovers, but looked so pretty cooking up, and tasted so nice, that I had to post it here. The ribboned carrot turns plain old cabbage beautifully golden, hence the "Sunny" part of the recipe. Sauerkraut gives this a bit of vinegary bite that is a great match for main dishes with sweet sauces or marinades.
- 1⁄2 small cabbage
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sauerkraut, mostly drained
- Core cabbage and cut into 1 cm wide ribbons.
- Use a vegetable peeler to make long ribbons from the carrots (the cores will be difficult to ribbon; reserve for other use).
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add caraway seeds and cook for a few seconds, until their color starts to change.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add cabbage. Cover and cook 5 minutes, until cabbage is slightly softened (but still crisp).
- Mix in carrots and sauerkraut, re-cover, and cook until carrot ribbons are tender (one to two minutes). If there is excess liquid, cook uncovered in this step, until liquid is evaporated.
This was very good! The entire Family Circus enjoyed it. I love cutting the carrots into ribbons. I did make some changes and additions though. I posted it as #451085, but listed yours as well. Thank you so much!