Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This was derived from having a mega bunch of sunflower seeds. I love spreads and pastes to add flavor. If you want more garlic, feel free to add more. I use on toast points, rub on chicken, crackers.It is a good rub for baked pork chops.
Top Review by Chefly
I made this a few days ago and followed the suggestion for adding 6 Tbsp. of water and more oil. That helped the processing and spreadability of this a great deal. I also thought it needed something flavorwise, so I added some cajun seasoning. The cajun seasoning melded the flavors perfectly. This makes a great sandwich with lettuce and tomato. I'll be making it again.
- 2 cups shelled salted sunflower seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
- more olive oil (if it is too thick for your taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients into a blender and pulse 4 or 5 times.
- Thanks to a nice reviewer, here are suggestions if you want the spread to be easier to spread. Add 1 tblsp. olive oil and 1 tblsp water more, then a little more before processing.
- Note: Suggested heating the olive oil,(a total of 3 tblsp. olive oil) setting it aside with the garlic cloves in it will reduce the garlic flavor and make it more mild.
- Put in a small covered airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Note: If you use unsalted sunflower seeds,.
- add 1/2 teaspoons salt or 1/2 teaspoons salt substitute.
- Note: The longer it is stored,the more intense flavor.