Sunflower, Date & Walnut Whole-Wheat Bread
- Brush a baking tray with vegetable oil to lightly grease. Combine the yeast, sugar, water and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Combine wholemeal and plain flours, burghul, salt and bread improver in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in yeast mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until combined, then use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Brush a large bowl with vegetable oil to lightly grease. Place dough in bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and set aside in a warm, draught-free place to prove for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 200°C Punch down the centre of the dough with your fist. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Add dates, walnuts, raisins and pineapple, and knead for 5 minutes or until fruit is incorporated and dough is elastic. Shape dough into a 30cm-long log. Brush with egg and sprinkle both sides with the combined sunflower kernels, pepitas and poppy seeds. Place on prepared tray. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Cut into slices and serve warm.