Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These potatoes are great for when you are having company over as they are a real comfort food. They can also be prepared in advance.
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frenches fried onions
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain well.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash potatoes.
- Add sour cream, cream cheese, 3 tablespoons butter, onion salt and pepper; beat until nice and fluffy.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Dot with remaining butter and bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with the Frenches fried onion then return to oven.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes.
We really enjoyed the potatoes prepared this way Chef Buggsy Mate. I halved the recipe for dh & I, it worked beautifully. The potatoes had a wonderful flavor and nice textures. We didn't have any French fried onions, so I caramelized a sweet onion and added it to the potatoes as a topping. The potatoes were very yummy, I could have eaten just them. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, which I will enjoy again. Made for Aussie Swap/Jan. 2014.
This is really comfort food. I made my own French Fried Onions (that's the only way DD eats her mashed potatoes). Just a little more work than the regular mashed potatoes but worth it. I said just a little,the extra work meaning having to open the oven door .Twice that it. Thanks for sharing.
Very easy and flavorful potatoes.....slightly thinner than I usually make my potatoes, but tasty never the less! I subbed crushed chips and a small sprinkle of shredded cheese for the topping as I found my French's Fried Onions had gone bad. Who knew? Turned out very nciely - everyone really loved them too! Would definitely make these again. Thank you for a very tasty side. *Made and enjoyed for August Aussie Recipe Swap*