3 hrs 10 mins
Juicy, summer tomatoes and fresh herbs are great for topping crusty, peasant bread. This is an excellent appetizer, or accompaniment to pasta or chicken. The cook time is really chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 plum tomatoes, very finely diced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, very finely minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice or 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices French bread (about 1/2 baquette) or 8 slices Italian bread, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 1/2 baquette)
- 2 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1In a large mixing bowl, toss tomatoes with cheese, minced garlic, basil, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- 2When very well mixed, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours to let flavors meld.
- 3Just before serving, grill the bread until lightly toasted (you can do it under the broiler or on the grill, it only takes a few minutes).
- 4Rub one side of the toast with the cut sides of the garlic cloves.
- 5Spread tomato mixture over toast slices and serve immediately or fill a small bowl with the tomato mixture and place it in the center of a serving platter with the toast arranged around it and allow everyone to help themselves.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summertime Bruschetta (Tomato and Basil)
Serving Size: 1 (838 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.6
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 1.1 mg
- Sodium 556.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g