Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I adapted this recipe from an old family cookbook, The Mennonite Community Cookbook. I swapped sugar for splenda and white flour for wheat. I wanted a cookie I could eat without sending my blood sugar on a rollercoaster ride.
- 236.59 ml shortening, i prefer butter
- 236.59 ml peanut butter
- 354.88-473.18 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 709.77 ml whole wheat flour, i use pastry flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- Cream shortening and peanut butter together I find that putting these ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving for 30 seconds makes the mixing job a lot easier Add sugar and continue to cream together Add eggs and vanilla and beat In a separate bowl measure and add flour, salt, soda and baking powder together Sift dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.
- The mixture will be crumbly but stick together if pressed with hands.
- Optional: Chill dough in refrigerator for several hours Shape dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter Space evenly on cookie sheet Press flat with fork Bake at 375 for 12 to 15 minutes.