Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I developed this recipe out of a need for a portable, fast, sugar-free, healthy breakfast. The recipe is very adaptable; these are quickly made in the food processor and are delicious in the morning with nut butter or cream cheese Note: If you use soy flour, flax seed meal and low carb mix and omit the fruit, these are much lower in carb count than the analysis indicates.
- 1 (1 lb) can pumpkin (not pie mix) or 1 1⁄2 cups shredded fresh zucchini
- 2 seedless tangerines (if you omit the tangerines or oranges, omit 1/2 cup of the soy flour, optional) (optional) or 1 large seedless orange, with peel, cut into 8 pieces (if you omit the tangerines or oranges, omit 1/2 cup of the soy flour) (optional)
- 4 extra large eggs (or 5 large)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Splenda granular (or the equivalent in stevia powder)
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
spices of choice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons grated dried ginger (2 fingers) or 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (2 fingers)
- chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease 12-cup muffin tin or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a food processor, puree eggs, oil and pumpkin or zucchini.
- Add optional ingredients if desired: 2 seedless tangerines or one seedless orange, with the peel.
- Add spices of choice.
- Add Splenda or Stevia powder, salt, baking powder and mix well.
- Add flax seed meal, flours and pulse until just mixed.
- Divide into 12 muffin cups and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Note: When I make these I use 1 cup soy flour, 1/2 cup wheat gluten, 1/2 cup CarbQuick baking mix. If you omit the tangerine/orange ingredient, reduce the flours by 1/2 cup.
- You may add nuts of choice, unsweetened coconut flakes.
- You may make these with bananas or apples, but that will increase the carbohydrate count.
- If you make these with zucchini, you may make chocolate muffins by substituting the wheat gluten with 1/2 cup dark, unsweetened cocoa powder.
Yum!!!! These are so easy and very substantial! I made these without the tangerines and with flax seed meal I'd ground from golden flax seeds (I whirled them up in the coffee grinder) - and added apple pie spice mix because whattheheck, I had it. Terrific, moist, and satisfying. No Atkins mix so I used a baking powder/soy/wheat gluten mix in its place. Really good with a little low-carb all fruit berry jam!