Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A flavorful, rich, spiced sugar free chai that I developed becuase I dislike the bitter taste of many black teas and I was restricted from sugar and caffiene.
- 2 whole star anise, broken
- 5 -6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, diced
- 4 -5 cinnamon sticks, broken to small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom or 4 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cardamom pods
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves or 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, slightly crushed to release oils
- 1⁄2 stick licorice root, cut with shears into small pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice berry
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half and scraped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 -3 tablespoons Splenda granular (artificial sweetener)
- heavy cream, to your liking
- Combine all ingredients except Splenda and cream with cold water in a glass pot and cover snugly.
- Simmer over low heat for 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for.
- another 40-50 minutes.
- Filter through cheesecloth then add sweetener and cream to your personal taste and enjoy.
What a delicious treat. Thank you for sharing