Recipe by pterron94
I saw this recipe on a PBS channel here in CA. My family loves it because the cheese makes it taste so tangy. It's ever so simple to make. Tip - here in CA it's much cheaper to buy Feta Cheese at a club. I cook the breast with the skin to keep it moist but we don't eat it because of the fat content.
Top Review by Toby Jermain
Actually, this recipe probably deserves only 2 stars, since most of us do not like to east raw chicken, and the author apparently does, since he/she/it didn't bother to tell us how it should be cooked, but I will give him/her/it the benesit of the doubt. I prepared it per the recipe, except for using dehydrated onion flakes in stead of onion powder (yuch), and I added 1 Tbsp dried basil and the juice od 1 lemon. I dredged the stuffed and rolled chicken breasts in olive oil over high heat until lightly browned, baked for 10 minutes at 350F and turned the oven to Broil for about 6-8 minutes, until the tops were nicely browned. After letting them set for 5 minutes, I sliced them into medallions and served them with couscous cooked in chicken broth, cooked with finely diced carrots, red bell pepper, daikon, and chopped green onions.
- 6 chicken breasts, with skin attached (with ribs)
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Crumble Feta Cheese into a medium sized bowl.
- Put Italian Seasoning in palm and crush it as you sprinkle it over the cheese as this releases more flavor.
- Add garlic & onion powder, salt & pepper.
- Mix together with fork.
- Turn the breast so that the thickest part is facing you.
- With a sharp knife cut a pocket in the breast - make sure you don't cut all the way through on any of the three sides. You can cut right along the rib which I find is much easier.
- Separate the Feta Mixture into 6 equal portions (or whatever amount of breasts you are making). Stuff each portion of the Feta Mixture into the pocket of one breast.
- Flatten the mixture by pressing down on the top part of the pocket then slightly pull the top of the pocket over the cheese. As it cooks the meat will contract a little bit and the cheese will 'pop' out. If you don't cover it the cheese will spill out all over the place.
- Spray boiler pan with Cooking Spray & place chicken on pan.
- Cook for no more than 45 minutes or chicken will be tough & dry.