Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These little Italian fried dough balls look like so much fun. Adapted from a recipe I saw on an episode of Mom's Home Cooking.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons colored sprinkles
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add eggs and mix to form dough. Turn out on floured surface and add enough flour so that mixture is no longer sticky.
- Roll into small loaves, about 3" wide and 1/2" thick. Slice into strips crosswise about 1/2" thick and then chop the strips into 1/2" sections so that you now have little cubes.
- Bring oil to 350 degrees and deep fry in batches until golden brown. Place on paper towels on a plate or bowl.
- Heat honey and stir in sprinkles. Stir strufolli into honey mixture, then scoop into cupcake papers. Sprinkle with additional sprinkles.
A simplified version of what I've had at my Italian SIL's. These are good but I missed the spiced honey.