Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Struffoli are fried balls of dough soaked in a boiling honey glaze. Struffoli are an Italian specialty, oftentimes served around Christmas and Easter. I used Southern Belle Honey in this recipe, and the cookies just melted in your mouth. Killer Bee Honey would provide a similar result (although the name of the honey goes against the kindly spirit of Christmas!). For a super-sweet cookie, you could try using Orange Blossom Honey, but you might find some of the flavor of this lighter honey is lost when it boils.
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 quart vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄8 cup flour (for dusting)
- 1⁄8 cup candy sprinkles
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 ounces slivered almonds, for topping
- Beat together eggs, sugar, and oil until foamy. Add flour and baking soda slowly while kneading. Knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball.
- Divide into 8 smaller balls. Roll each ball into a rope 1/2 inch across, and cut into pieces 1/3-1/2 inch long. Flour each piece lightly to prevent them from sticking together. Fry dough in oil at 375 until golden brown and puffy. Drain well. Arrange fried dough in a tray or mixing bowl.
- Prepare Honey Glaze, and pour over fried dough turn dough until evenly coated with Honey Glaze.
- Honey Glaze directions:.
- Boil liquid ingredients until thick remove from heat, and pour over cake.
- Arrange in a pyramid on a serving plate, and cover with candy sprinkles or slivered almonds.
- Cool before serving.