Recipe by Johnnyfly41
Easy baked bean recipe given to me by one Big Jim Strotha. Uses Bush's canned beans as the base. Very easy to make and modify to suit. It makes plenty, and thats good, because you will need plenty once people get a taste of these great beans.
- 1 lb spicy breakfast sausage
- 5 slices smoked bacon
- 1 whole onion, chopped (medium to large)
- 1 (28 ounce) canbush's bold and spicy baked beans
- 1 (28 ounce) canbush's baked beans (Honey, barbecue, smokey..... your choice, I prefer honey)
- 2 -3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar, to taste
- 1 cup chopped sweet pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick a pot for your beans large enough to contain the finished dish and brown spicy sausage and chopped bacon slices in pot, do not drain.
- add in whole chopped onion and simmer until onion is soft.
- add in Bush's beans and simmer.
- here if you want a sweet taste to balance the heat you may use maple syrup, brown sugar, even honey if you prefer. For more heat, Louisiana hot sauce, tabasco etc. to taste.
- As with most dishes of this type, it is best when prepared in advanced and benefits from reheating to bring all the flavors together. I like to make it the day before and reheat. These beans actually get better with every reheat.
- In the last stage of simmer, or, when reheating, dice up sweet yellow, orange and red peppers in to about 1/2 inch pieces and add to beans just long enough to soften the peppers.
- There you go, a delicious bean dish that looks like you really worked at it. These beans vanish at dinners I take them to and everyone wants the recipe. Enjoy and modify to suit your tastes.