Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was my grandfather's favorite dessert. Our grandmother would make this for him when ever he got too cranky. It always put him in a better mood. This recipe call for a sugar cake, but you can use a yellow or a white cake instead. A lot of grocery stores do not carry the sugar cake mix that this recipe calls for. I always liked the Duncan Hines brand, but this is a personal choice of mine. For the strawberries you can use either the fresh or the frozen strawberries. Make sure they are thawed out and you drain all the liquid from them before starting.
- 32 ounces yellow cake mix, Duncan Hines
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1 pint strawberry
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Bake the cake according to the package directions.
- Let it cool completely before going any further.
- With a cake or bread knife, slice the cake in half crosswise and separate the two horizontal halves.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Do not over-whip or the cream will turn to butter.
- Hull and slice the strawberries.
- Mix half of the sliced strawberries with half of the whipped cream.
- Spread the strawberry jam over the top of the bottom cake layer, and then cover with the whipped cream and strawberry mixture.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the bottom one.
- Frost the top and sides of cake with the remaining whipped cream.
- Decorate the top with remaining strawberries.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.