Recipe by threeovens
We are making a conscious effort to cut down a bit on sugar. This recipe is both sweet and a little tart because it is relatively low in sugar. I also use the low of no sugar pectin. And if you are not put off, it only makes one little jar of jam. You could increase the recipe for canning if you like. Basically, this recipe is designed to use up the last little bit of fruit before it goes bad. Store in the refrigerator.
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1 cup crushed strawberry (about 2 cups whole)
- 2⁄3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 ounce low sugar fruit pectin
Directions See How It's Made
- Score the peel of the lemon, then peel with your fingers.
- Use a sharp knife to scrape off the bitter pith and discard the white pith.
- You will be tired of doing this after about half the available peel; this is okay, you have enough.
- Cut the peel into thin strips; combine the lemon strips, water, baking soda in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Section lemons preserving any juice, but discarding seeds.
- Combine with peels, stir in crushed strawberries, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in pectin, boil for 1 minute, skim off any foam.
- If you are going to double or triple the recipe for canning, it will need to process 5 minutes in a boiling water canner.