Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipes is from the Ball Blue Book. The only thing I did differently is to add lemon zest. It's really refreshing, because the lemon zest/juice keeps it from being overly sweet. This is one of my favorite jams that I make each year.
- Wash strawberries; drain.
- Remove Stems.
- Crush strawberries on layer at a time. (I use a potato masher for this.).
- Combine strawberries, powdered pectin, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large saucepot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil.
- Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Adjust 2-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Strawberry taste was very good. Will cut the sugar by 2 cups next time. Even with the lemon it was much to sweet for us. So I will only use 5 cups sugar next time. I had to do the same with apple jam and butter. Guess I should feel blessed that the family doesn't like such sweet stuff. LOL Thank you for sharing and thank you everyone for the comments.
I wanted a strawberry jam recipe with lemon juice b/c i enjoy a little tang to my sweet. I saw this one with lemon juice AND lemon zest and I'm So glad i tried it. It was super easy. I used the juice from two fresh lemons and zested both of them. I nuked my lemons in the microwave for about 30 seconds to juice better. I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing
Wonderful Strawberry Jam! I followed this recipe out of my box of pectin, so I didn't add the lemon juice or lemon zest! This is a very easy recipe to follow, my 11 year old DS even made some for fair! He didn't like the chunks of strawberries so big, so I decided to use my food processor! He liked the way it came out but I felt that the pieces were to small. So maybe when I make this again I will just cut up all the strawberries and see how that turns out! This recipe is as easy as canning can get! We love the homemade taste of jams so I will be making this recipe again. When Strawberry season comes again. Thanks for posing this wonderful recipe!