Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipes is from the Ball Blue Book. The only thing I did differently is to add lemon zest. It's really refreshing, because the lemon zest/juice keeps it from being overly sweet. This is one of my favorite jams that I make each year.
- Wash strawberries; drain.
- Remove Stems.
- Crush strawberries on layer at a time. (I use a potato masher for this.).
- Combine strawberries, powdered pectin, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large saucepot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil.
- Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Adjust 2-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Mother's Day: The reason I get to sleep in once a year and get served burnt toast and bacon in bed. ;-) Here's my gift to all those wonderful mother's this 2015 Mother's Day!
Strawberry taste was very good. Will cut the sugar by 2 cups next time. Even with the lemon it was much to sweet for us. So I will only use 5 cups sugar next time. I had to do the same with apple jam and butter. Guess I should feel blessed that the family doesn't like such sweet stuff. LOL Thank you for sharing and thank you everyone for the comments.
I wanted a strawberry jam recipe with lemon juice b/c i enjoy a little tang to my sweet. I saw this one with lemon juice AND lemon zest and I'm So glad i tried it. It was super easy. I used the juice from two fresh lemons and zested both of them. I nuked my lemons in the microwave for about 30 seconds to juice better. I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing