Recipe by dividend
This recipes is from the Ball Blue Book. The only thing I did differently is to add lemon zest. It's really refreshing, because the lemon zest/juice keeps it from being overly sweet. This is one of my favorite jams that I make each year.
Top Review by tsunami-mommy
Strawberry taste was very good. Will cut the sugar by 2 cups next time. Even with the lemon it was much to sweet for us. So I will only use 5 cups sugar next time. I had to do the same with apple jam and butter. Guess I should feel blessed that the family doesn't like such sweet stuff. LOL Thank you for sharing and thank you everyone for the comments.
- 2 quarts strawberries
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package dry pectin
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 7 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash strawberries; drain.
- Remove Stems.
- Crush strawberries on layer at a time. (I use a potato masher for this.).
- Combine strawberries, powdered pectin, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large saucepot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil.
- Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Adjust 2-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.