Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipes is from the Ball Blue Book. The only thing I did differently is to add lemon zest. It's really refreshing, because the lemon zest/juice keeps it from being overly sweet. This is one of my favorite jams that I make each year.
- 2 quarts strawberries
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package dry pectin
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 7 cups sugar
- Wash strawberries; drain.
- Remove Stems.
- Crush strawberries on layer at a time. (I use a potato masher for this.).
- Combine strawberries, powdered pectin, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large saucepot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil.
- Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Adjust 2-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Strawberry taste was very good. Will cut the sugar by 2 cups next time. Even with the lemon it was much to sweet for us. So I will only use 5 cups sugar next time. I had to do the same with apple jam and butter. Guess I should feel blessed that the family doesn't like such sweet stuff. LOL Thank you for sharing and thank you everyone for the comments.
I wanted a strawberry jam recipe with lemon juice b/c i enjoy a little tang to my sweet. I saw this one with lemon juice AND lemon zest and I'm So glad i tried it. It was super easy. I used the juice from two fresh lemons and zested both of them. I nuked my lemons in the microwave for about 30 seconds to juice better. I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing
OMG, the BEST strawberry jam EVER! I have had rave reviews on this one. I had to chop the zest by hand because I don't have a grater anymore, and I tried it in the food processor, but that didn't work. But it was worth the extra effort. I made this in April and got 7 half-pints exactly, and they are all gone now! I will be making more of this soon. Better make it two or three times before the strawberries become scarce! Thank you thank you thank you!!!