1/3 Photos of Strawberry Jalapeno Jam
Consider keeping the jalapeno seeds and membranes, otherwise the results will be good, but mild. Also, remember to use disposable latex gloves when handling peppers. I can't guarantee the recipe should you reduce the sugar because I've never made it otherwise. Sure-Jell Premium (yellow box) requires a certain amount of sugar to gel properly. (I do have another jalapeno jelly recipe, Jalapeno Cranberry Jelly (Christmas Jelly). It's considerably less work and equally divine.) BTW, should any recipe fail, see Liquid Cement.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups crushed strawberries (discard stems and leaves)
- 1 cup jalapeno pepper (processed in food processer)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin (Sure-Jell Premium yellow box I prefer using 1 1/2 packages because strawberries are runnier)
- 7 cups granulated sugar (yes this is the right amount...it's jelly!)
- 1Sterilize eight half pint canning jars with lids and rings, boiling for at least 5 minutes and kept hot.
- 2Place the crushed strawberries (do not chop in a food processer; the texture will be too fine and choppy), processed jalapeno pepper, lemon juice and pectin into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan; stir in the sugar to dissolve. Rapidly bring to a boil over high heat (long, slow boiling destroys the pectin). Once at a full rolling boil, cook for 1 full minute. One half teaspoon butter may be added to keep down the foam, if desired. Letting this mixture sit for about 5 minutes discourages the fruit from separating.
- 3Pack the jam into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- 4Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. Remove the jars and place onto a cloth-covered or heat-resistance surface. (While cooling, I shake frequently to redistribute content.) Allow to cool overnight. Store in a cool, dark area.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Jalapeno Jam
Serving Size: 1 (2177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 725.5
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 187.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 178.8 g
- Protein 0.6 g