Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Refreshing to sip on or great served with any meal.
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries or 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh rosemary (optional)
- ice cube
- 1 liter brewed iced tea (see Recipe Center) or 1 liter club soda, chilled
- fresh strawberries (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine fresh or frozen strawberries, brown sugar, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove strips of peel from lemons; juice the lemons (should have 1/2 cup). Add strips of lemon peel, lemon juice, and rosemary to mixture in saucepan. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Cover; cool to room temperature.
- Press mixture through a fine mesh sieve; discard solids (you should have about 1 quart syrup). To serve, fill glass with ice. To each glass add 1/2 cup Iced Tea and syrup to taste (about 1/2 cup). Garnish with fresh strawberries. Makes about eight (8-ounce) servings.
- Syrup may be prepared, covered, and refrigerated up to 3 days.
Yummy! Loved the hint of rosemary and lemon. Used 2 pkgs frozen strawberries which worked well. Not overly sweet, very refreshing. Used strong iced tea in one batch, club soda in another and loved both. Thanks for sharing the recipe!