Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
adapted from Marcia Adam's Christmas In The Heartland...this makes beautiful cookies..My granddaughter and love to make them together..Hope you enjoy!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blanched almonds, ground to coarse meal
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
- In a mixer bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup of the confectioner's sugar until light, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla and lemon zest and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt and add to the creamed mixture.
- Mix in the ground almonds; you may have to work in the last of them by hand. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the dough to soften slightly about 1 hour before rolling out.
- Flour a cloth or board lightly, and roll out the dough one third at a time to 1/4" thick.
- Placing a sheet of waxed paper on top of the dough, makes it easier to roll. Cut out an equal number of 1 1/2" hearts and 3" hearts.
- place seperately on 2 parchment lined or ungreased sheets and chill for 45 minute Preheat the oven to 325*.
- when chilled, bake the large hearts for 10 min and the little hearts 8 minutes, they should not brown.
- Let the cookies stand on the pans for 2 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Immediately, while the cookies are still warm, place about 1/4 tsp of jam in the center of the 3" hearts, then top with a smaller heart. you do want a bit of the jam to show through. cool completely and then store in tins or freeze. just before serving, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar over the tops.
- We have made these with orange marmalade, grape jam etc. We have even used these at wedding showers with a variety of jams.
- Very rich and buttery cookies.
They turned out pretty good for a first time attempt at cookies. Though I ended up using more flour than what was listed. If you like rich cookies, you would like these.