Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is originally from the "Great Tastes - Healthy Cooking From Canyon Ranch" cookbook. This is being posted for the strawberry swap. The photo in the book is absolutely drool-inducing.
- 1 cup strawberry
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- strawberry, to garnish
- Clean, stem and slice strawberries into quarters.
- Place in bowl and set aside.
- In blender, combine cottage cheese, buttermilk and lemon juice, pureeing until smooth.
- Add brown sugar to blender mixture and mix.
- Place 1/4 C of strawberries into champagne or short parfait glass.
- Top with 2 Tbsp cottage cheese mixture.
- Top with a strawberry.
- Chill for 1 hour.
I liked this, although I can't honestly say I loved it. That has more to do with the texture than with the taste, though. Even after pureeing until quite smooth, there is a granular texture to the sauce -- from the cottage cheese -- that is a little unsettling. If you didn't know you were eating cottage cheese, I suspect it would be bothersome. I liked the taste a lot, although I did increase the sugar a tiny bit (thinking all the while that honey would have been good too), and I think this would go well with any type of fruit or fruit mixture. I don't much like cold fruit, so I had some straight out of the fridge then let my serving sit for about 10 minutes, then finished it. I enjoyed that more. This recipe was very easy to make and I certainly appreciate that it's so healthy!