Recipe by Lainey6605
I love homemade applesauce and this one is extra-special with strawberry flavor. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
Made for Kid Friendly Tag and my kids did like it. I used 2 lbs gala and 2 lbs red pears (skin on). Also used 1/2 cup frozen (thawed) strawberries instead of the preserves (that really reduces the sugar). I like the little bit of crunch the pears give applesauce, but I puree it with my hand blender until smooth. It made a full to the top quart canning jar. With the strawberries and red pear skins, no need for the nasty food coloring! :)
- 4 (1/4 lb) mcintosh apple (2 pounds)
- 4 (1/4 lb) empire apple (2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup seedless reduced-sugar strawberry preserves
- liquid red food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, halve and core apples.
- Cut into 2-inch chunks.
- Place in 5-quart saucepan with apple juice and butter.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until apples are very tender.
- Crush apples with a potato masher until chunky.
- Stir in strawberry preserves and food color, if using, until blended.
- Serve warm or chilled.