Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pop! Cake mix and soda create a delicious strawberry-and-cream dessert. Taken from Betty Crocker website -- Posted for the Think Pink Event Oct. 09
- 517.37 g box white cake mix (calls for Betty Crocker Supermoist)
- 295.73 ml strawberry soda
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- red food coloring
- 453.59 g can cream cheese frosting
- 118.29 ml white candy sprinkles
- fresh strawberries, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans).
- Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes, substituting soda for the water and using oil and egg whites.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Stir 1 or 2 drops food color into frosting.
- Frost cupcakes.
- In small resealable food-storage plastic bag, place sprinkles and 1 drop food color; seal bag.
- Gently shake and massage sprinkles until mixture is various shades of pink; sprinkle around edges of frosted cupcakes.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries, if desired.
Alli - Pop ! Yep pop them right into your mouth! Delicious cupcake - so very moist and tender. I made a homemade buttercream frosting for these this time and last night served with a few sliced strawberries on top (but of course by the time of photos this morning the strawberries were gone). I made 12 in heart shaped tins and received 10 in regular sized muffin pan (the hearts were a bit larger than a normal muffin tin). The flavor of the soda does not really appear within the cupcake but the appearance is so beautiful and serving with strawberries brings it all together. Made for your win in Tic Tac Toe 2011 event.
These are AWESOME! I just tested this recipe to see if I wanted to make them for my DS's Valentine's Day party next week, and we both agreed they were perfect. I made it exactly as directed but used storebought red sprinkles. The cake part is so tender and light. I think for the party I'll go the extra mile and make homemade cream cheese frosting (Kittencal's recipe), but the recipe is wonderful as is. Thanks for a keeper that I'll be sure to use again and again. :-)
Loved these cupcakes! I made these more of a dessert - I mixed some low-fat cream cheese with some marshmallow creme, put a scoop on top of the cupcakes, and put some strawberry slices on that. The strawberry soda really gave these a sweet fruity flavor and they were so moist. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for ZWT6, Zwizzle Chicks