Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful sauce for either pound cake or vanilla ice cream, or both. When strawberries are in season, you must try this. We like it over Marble Slab's sweet cream ice cream topped with a dollop of whipped cream and toasted, slivered almonds.
- 2 (16 ounce) containers fresh strawberries
- 1 navel orange, juice and zest of
- 2 cups port wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 whole cloves
- Trim the strawberries and slice.
- Put all ingredients into heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat to a low simmer and cook for about 30 minutes.
- You can either serve warm or at room temperature.
Another winner from Trinkets! I halved the recipe and this worked out great. Served the sauce over angel food cake. Depending on the sweetness of strawberries, sugar may need to be adjusted. Our strawberries were not that sweet and I increased the sugar in the recipe. Thank you for posting this wonderful recipe!