Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe also works great with chicken. From the Cameron Cooking Guide, and intended to be prepared using a stove top smoker.
- 2 pheasants
- 8 tablespoons mushrooms
- 4 green onions
- 8 tablespoons parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 4 tablespoons chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons apple wood chips
- Combine all ingredients of the herb paste except the butter in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add butter and mix until a paste forms.
- With your fingers, loosen the skin of the pheasant starting from the neck end.
- Next, spread the paste evenly under the loosened skin.
- Salt and pepper the outside of the skin and place into the smoker-form a foil tent and place on medium heat using apple wood chips for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and place the smoker into a preheated 350º oven and cook for 30 minutes or until thigh is tender.