Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe just screams for ice-cream! I actually make this as a side dish to serve with Pork Roast but the leftovers can easily become dessert. The sauce in this recipe is thin and we prefer it that way, but if you like a thicker sauce, just add one tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in with the brown sugar. Enjoy!!
- 6 apples, peeled,cored and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider or 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add apples and cook approximately 5 minutes, stirring often to coat apples and prevent sticking.
- Add apple cider to the pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger over apples and continue stirring to coat apples.
- Add vanilla and wine, if using.
- Once sugar has melted and liquid in the bottom of the pan comes to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Continue cooking on low simmer for about 20 minutes or until apple slices are tender.
- Remember to stir frequently to avoid sticking.