Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Bon Appetit. A little fancier way to serve asparagus than just the traditional steamed or roasted method. Asparagus is steamed and topped with a lemon almond butter that is seasoned with shallots, garlic and parsley. Delish! Note that cooking time includes time required to steam the asparagus.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 2 lbs asparagus, fresh, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy small skillet over low heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour into medium bowl. Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter, parsley, lemon juice and lemon peel to shallot mixture and whisk to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Steam asparagus until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- Place butter mixture in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and cook until butter browns, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add asparagus and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper; divide among plates and serve.
Excellent, simple asparagus dish! The almonds give this dish a great texture. Another fantastic recipe from Epi Curious! Thanks! Made for PAC Fall 2008.