Steak With Spicy Chili Sauce
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, shallots, chili paste, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Add the steaks, turning to coat evenly.
- Remove the steaks, reserving the sauce; pat the steaks lightly with paper towels and sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Heat the remaining ½ teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat until almost smoking.
- Arrange steaks in a single layer so that they don’t touch.
- Cook until done to taste, 4 minutes on each side for med-rare; transfer steaks to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the reserved sauce to the pan; bring to a boil over med-high heat and cook, stirring often, until thick and syrupy; about 3 minutes; spoon sauce over steaks.