Recipe by HeatherFeather
These are from my childhood. The cookies get sprinkled with partially crushed candies so they look like broken bits of stained glass on top. They are really pretty and easy to make.I used to make these every year for Christmas when I was a kid. I loved crushing the candy. I used either lollypops or life savers fruit flavoreded candies usually, but any transparent, colorful hard candy you like can be used. I always had a full rainbow of colors. Originally from a community cookbook, "Jones Farm Country Kitchen," which is still one of my favorite community cookbooks ever.
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, melted (2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- assorted colorful hard candies, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients together, except candies.
- Shape dough into trees, candy canes, trees, etc -- whatever you like (hand formed or if you prefer, chill the dough and cut out with cookie cutters).
- Cover cookies with crushed lollypops decoratively.
- Bake on parchment lined cookie sheets in a preheated 350 F oven, about 8 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on pans before removing.