Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Make this only if you are a lover of spicy full-flavored food! plan ahead the beef needs to marinate for 6-24 hours, for extra heat add in some red chili flakes, when I made this dish I added in a cup of beef broth, I have listed that in the ingredients but you have the option of adding it in or omitting --- this dish is even better the next day, serve this with basmati rice :)
Top Review by Mosum
I might have messed this up myself but i did all the frying and then added everything to the slow cooker... dont know what happen but the beef had to flavor and yes i did leave in the fridge for 24 hours. :(
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs boneless sirloin steaks (cut into 2-inch pieces or a little smaller)
- 3 tablespoons oil (more if needed)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup beef broth (optional)
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan cook the first 4 spices over medium-low heat for about 6 minutes, stirring until toasted.
- Place the beef cubes in a large bowl.
- Toss the beef with the spices and 1 tablespoon ground black pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for 6-24 hours.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, ginger, fresh garlic and jalapeno pepper; saute for about 3 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Remove the onion mixture from the pot and place in a large bowl.
- Add in HALF of the beef cubes (adding in more oil if needed) cook browning on all sides of the meat; remove and place in the bowl with the onion mixture.
- Repeat with remaining beef cubes.
- Return the beef/onion mixture to the pot.
- Add/stir in broth (if using) coconut milk and white wine vinegar; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the beef is very tender.
- Season with salt to taste.