Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe on a low-carb website, and it's become a lifesaver. I usually make this up the night before and take it in to work for a great lunch.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- lemon slice (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- lemon slice, for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup slivered toasted almond, for topping
- Cover the boneless chicken breasts with 1/4 c lemon juice and water or broth to cover in a 9-in skillet.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil slowly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for one minute.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken, pat dry, & shred.
- Snap off asparagus stalks at the point of tenderness.
- Partially fill a large skillet with water and bring to boil.
- Add asparagus; cover and heat until water comes back to a boil.
- Uncover and boil slowly for 4-5 minutes until spears bend a little when lifted.
- Drain and cool.
- With a knife, shred half of the lettuce and place in a large salad bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients and shake until blended.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the lettuce.
- Slice the asparagus into 2-in diagonal pieces and combine with the lettuce.
- Drizzle with remaining dressing and garnish with lemon slices.
- Serve, sprinkled with almonds.
An excellent light salad with lots of flavor. The dressing was wonderful, we loved the lemon/herb combination. We had this salad as a main dish, I added some large home made garlic croutons. The only thing I did different was that I used Romaine lettuce, because that was what I had in the fridge. I might use pine nuts next time instead of the almonds.
This was truly delicious. I didn't have basil, so I added basil olive oil. I was initially concerned that it was going to be way too tart with all the lemon juice, but it was healthy, delicious, tasty and filling. I used a pre prepared lettuce mix, and used turkey instead of chicken. Definitely will be making this again! Thanks Mirj! (Reviewed for Spring PAC 2007)