Adapted from Real Simple's facebook page featuring 13 Fresh Side Dishes for Spring -- life made easier, every day! Make it a one dish meal by topping the salad with grilled chicken --
- 1⁄4 avocado, pitted (slice remaining 3/4 avocado ~ see below)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar or 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 cups torn lettuce (spring mix preferred)
- 3⁄4 avocado, sliced (from above)
- 1⁄4 pint grape tomatoes (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup pistachios (shelled and roasted)
- In a food processor, process 1/4 avocado, buttermilk, vinegar, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Drizzle the lettuces, sliced avocados, and tomatoes if desired, with the dressing and sprinkle with the pistachios.
What a wonderful salad to have on a hot steamy night like the one I am having! The creaminess of the avocado dressing is wonderful with the additional tang of the vinegar, and just perfect with the saltiness of the pistachios! I'd definitely add the grape tomatoes.....they are so good with this dressing. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe! Made for Photo Tag.
A lovely salad! I used plain almond milk instead of buttermilk, just used a little less. Thanks! Made for Sping Pick a Chef event 2014
UPDATE: I have made this with frozen buttermilk and 1/4 avocado (mashed with a little lemon) that I had froze. I was surprised at how well it turned out. I added some roasted garlic that I had on hand and the rest was the same. This just turned into my "go to" salad recipe!!! Yummers!!! Mar 2/13: I really enjoyed this salad....but I did make some changes, I added about 1/2 tsp garlic, salt, pepper and 2 shots of hot sauce. I served this over baby romaine lettuce, craisins, pistachios, strawberries and the other half of the avocdo. Yummy! The colours from this salad was very appealing! The tang from the buttermilk gives a really nice taste. I had found this recipe in Real Magazine, so I am glad that it was already posted!!!