Recipe by GypsyAnn
If you've never tried mincemeat pie, or think you don't like it, you may be surprised. This one may just get you "hooked".
Top Review by Irmgard
Excellent pie! I found that it made quite a bit of filling for a 9" pie so I made my own crust from scratch and baked it in a 10" pan. I didn't use the egg wash as I used butter-flavoured shortening so the pie already had a nice yellow colour. There wasn't much left by the end of dinner!
- 2 (9 inch) frozen pie crusts (thawed)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons brandy (or orange juice)
- 27 ounces mincemeat
- 1 cup apple, finely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine raisins with brandy (or orange juice) in large bowl and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Combine raisin mixture with remaining ingredients and spoon into pie crust. Top with remaining pie crust and make several small slits on top of crust. Brush top with egg mixture. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes (until golden brown).