Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
We had this for a family celebration, and it was wonderful! I use my own homemade pesto, but you can use a good quality store bought brand and doctor it up. Also, make sure you get an excellent cut of meat from your butcher or fine food store. It is much easier having a professional do the spiral cut of the tenderloin. Recipe adapted from Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello *NOTE* This is a recipe that was adopted by me in September 2006 in a very wild zaar adoption fest! LOL, I haven't had the opportunity to make it but when I do I'll update this!
- 2 lbs center cut filet of beef, spiral cut
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup store bought pesto sauce
- extra virgin olive oil
- 8 long wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for at least 30 minutes
- With the heel of your hand or a meat mallet, pound the meat and flatten to a thickness of about 1/2-inch.
- Sprinkle the inside of the meat with salt and pepper. Spread the pesto over the meat, leaving a 1-inch border on 1 long side. Roll the meat toward the border.
- With your knife, mark the fillet at 1-inch intervals. Run skewers through your fillet in between your knife marks so that each portion has a skewer securing it. Using your knife marks as a guide, cut your fillet into slices. Drizzle with the oil.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan.
- Grill slices over high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.