Spinatsuppe (Norwegian Spinach Soup)
- Wash spinach thoroughly; drain and chop coarsely. (If you're using frozen spinach, defrost it and drain thoroughly.).
- Place a sieve or strainer over a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, bring broth to a boil. Add spinach. Simmer 5 minutes, then pour into sieve or strainer, catching the stock in the bowl. Press the spinach with a spoon to remove as much liquid as possible. Set the stock aside. Chop the spinach very fine. (this step not necessary if using frozen spinach).
- Melt the butter in the saucepan or soup pot. Remove pan from heat and stir in the flour. Using a whisk, slowly add the hot broth, mixing well. Return pan to heat and bring broth to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup garnished with slices of hard-boiled egg.