Spoon bread is a Southern specialty that’s a cross between cornbread and a soufflé.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 lb fresh spinach leaves, washed and drained
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 head garlic, roasted (instructions follow)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Bring a small pot of water to a boil, and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the spinach.
- 3When spinach wilts, drain in a colander and run cold water over spinach until it is completely cool.
- 4Whisk together cornmeal, buttermilk, egg yolks, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, baking soda, white pepper, butter, nutmeg, and roasted garlic.
- 5In a clean, dry bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 6Fold egg whites into cornmeal mixture. Add spinach and stir. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with vegetable spray and add spoon bread batter.
- 7Bake spoon bread 30 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 8ROASTED GARLIC: Preheat oven to 300°F; cut the top off the head of garlic, and place both pieces on foil; mix 1 teaspoon water and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and drizzle over garlic; sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper; close foil and roast 1 hour, or until garlic cloves ooze from their papery skins; squeeze out the roasted garlic and use as needed.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Spoon Bread
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.8
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 679.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 7.9 g